|Hotel Lincoln - Then & Now|
On January 11, 1902, Hotel Lincoln opened its doors in Harrington, Washington. It was a fine hotel and was hailed as “. . . a two story brick structure, containing twenty-four large, light and airy sleeping rooms, fitted with the most modern appointments throughout. This may safely be pronounced the most comfortably appointed hotel along the line of the Great Northern between Spokane and Everett,” touted The Harrington Citizen.
While under construction, each stone was laid by hand for
the foundation, every brick formed and fired at the area factory, Pratt and Rehms, and skillfully laid by masons of the
local firm, J.E. Lowery. Huge timbers were unloaded from a
nearby railcar and brought to the site on horse-drawn wagons
by the contractor/builder from town.
A great deal of remodeling is underway to
accommodate the heating and electrical improvements.
Doors and windows that were unknown are now exposed.
Openings that have been closed for over a half a century are
opened. Walls covered in wallboard are uncovered and wainscoting that has been hidden once again shows a decorative
face. Beautiful stenciling, fancy wallpaper, and a staircase for
the kitchen staff . . . it is easy for the imagination to wander
back in time.
A calling card found behind the chair rail in the lobby
invites the detective in all of us to conjure up images of how
it came to be there, who it belonged to. On one side of the
The Hotel Lincoln and other historic buildings are the backdrop